The procedure of a blood test is conducted in the following order:
1) The first thing you should do is to stop the flow of blood. It can be done putting an elastic band around your upper arm to make the veins below the band larger and make the inserting of a needle into the vein easier.
2) Disinfect the sharp part of the needle with alcohol.
3) Insert the needle into the vein. Needle stick should be more than one. Then you should touch with a tube to the needle to fill it with blood.
4) When you have enough blood, you should take away the band from your arm.
5) As soon as you take away the needle, put a gauze pad or cotton ball over the needle site.
6) Then you should use pressure to the site and then a bandage.
7) To the examination of women’s luteinizing hormone (LH) levels more than one blood sample is required.
Some blood samples may be taken during one day or one sample may be taken daily during some days.
When the doctor insert a needle, it can be hardly noticeable or you may feel a brief sting or pinch at the moment of the needle’s pinching the skin. A stinging pain at the moment of the needle being in the vein can be available among some people. No pain or little discomfort is the most common things when the needle is inserted in the vein.
There are very little complications of a progesterone test when blood is taken from a vein. A small bruise may occur at the puncture site. To avoid having a bruise, you should keep pressure on the site during some minutes after the withdrawal of the needle.
In rare cases you may observe the inflammation of the vein after the blood sample is taken. The medical term for such procedure is phlebitis and its treatment is a warm compress that is to be put some times every day.
Patients, who have continued bleeding disorders, should be concerned. There are some medicines such as aspirin, warfarin (Coumadin) and other blood-thinning medications, that can cause bleeding. You should inform your doctor before blood test about bleeding or clotting problems and blood-thinning medications, taken by you.